My Trail Reviews (17)(within last 6 months)
For the time of year, the snow is very minimal right now. There were a couple fresh inches at the beginning, but that was it really. We didn't encounter significant snow untill about waypoint 5. It appears there were some large drifts maybe a week or 2 ago, but those had been busted by previous drivers, leaving only a couple inches from the last storm. We made it almost to the lake, but we're stopped by a large, off camber, wind blown drift at 9.3 miles. No other issues or recovery needed except at the 9.3 mile mark.
The snow cornice is not yet melted out. Dirt bikes have made a path through and probably within a week ATVs will get through. With a bit of shoveling, they could start getting through now. I expect another 2-3 weeks before full size vehicles can get through.
The gate on Webster was just opened so we drove up to see how far we could get on Radical. The trail is very wet with a lot of runoff coming down the trail. Many areas are very soft and muddy so please tread lightly. We made it only 1 mile before a large snowfield blocks the trail.
Trail is open all the way to Cleveland Rock
The gate on the north end has been opened and the trail is mostly snow free to the summit. Just beyond the creek crossing there are a couple remaining snow drifts that shouldn't be an issue for any modified rig. Those should be melted out soon.
The south side is still impassable at the very top due to the snow cornice. Going to be several weeks, if not a month before it is melted out. Up to that point, the trail is clear. The washouts just after the first switchback is very narrow. Itncould present a challenge for wide rigs.
There is substantial resource damage to the sides of the trail due to illegally driving off trail. Please stay on the trail and do not attempt to drive off reaching mud bogs.
Per local resources, Ophir is 100% open and dry.
Gates are open on both ends.
Per Ouray County, Stony Pass is now open.
Trail is still blocked by snow at the avalanche chute at waypoint 6. Until that point, the trail was dry. Beyond that point the trail appeared dry as well. Some determined folks with shovels could make fairly quick work of the drifts, otherwise I expect it to melt out by the end of the month.
Trail is open per the South Platte ranger district. The mud season closure is not a set dates closure. If conditions allow, the road can be opened, like it is now.
Spent the first half of the day doing some work on the trail with the guys from CORE and the Forest Service. We installed 2 winch anchors at the wall obstacle and put in some fencing to prevent resource damage from those attempting to bypass the obstacle. After the work, we ran the trail to the end. It is fully open.
Cleared and fully open per local reports.
The seasonal Gate has been opened. Time to go wheeling!
Hit the trail on March 18th, just before a winter snow rolled in. The beginning of the trail barely had any snow, and what snow there was was a pretty thin layer. About a mile in we started hitting large snow drifts and some pretty consistent snow fields. From this point there was a lot of winching and a lot of kinetic rope pulls. 2 miles in, nothing but snow. We made it about 50 yards shy of the end of the trail where the snow swallowed 37s and made them disappear. After bashing the drifts here for awhile, we called it quits and turned around as the snow started to fall.
Fun day, great views, great snow bashing trail.
Headed up the trail on March 18th before the most recent winter storm rolled through. The day started really nice and sunny with warm temps. There was practically no snow until you got to the mine at waypoint 5. When we got to the chutes, there wasn't much snow at the bottom, but there was a thick layer of ice. When you get to the turn in the chute, that is where the snow was drifted pretty deep. The snow was a very soft, light, and icy snow that didn't compact at all. Once you broke the crust, you sunk to the bottom and then hit solid ice before the dirt so there was no traction. We had to winch the corner but we're able to drive the rest of the way.
Above the chute the trail is covered in nothing but deep snow. We only made it 1.6 miles which isn't even to the split with Miller Creek. This was before the storm that rolled in, so it's going to be quite awhile before the trail is even doable beyond the Chutes.
The trail had a layer of fairly fresh snow throughout most of the trail but for the most part the snow wasn't a problem. The wind was really whipping on this day so we decided to eat lunch in the rigs. One thing not mentioned in this guide, is that at waypoint 10, you can take a right turn towards Mount Baldy, and then a few hundred yards down that way, you can then take a left coming through the trees to meet back up with Eagle Rock and avoid the meadow a bit. This gave us a chance to break some of the wind.
Erosion has definitely exposed a lot of new boulders and vehicle traffic has dug out a few large undercuts. I agree with the rating and think the guide is on point.
The trail appears to be in pretty much the same condition as it was this past fall. Snow conditions were pretty dismal, even for this trail. The first couple obstacles above the hill climb remain relatively difficult but were snow free. Once beyond the Carnage Canyon exit, a few inches of snow covered the ground. Once down in the wash, there was a bit more snow and a lot of ice in the shadowy areas. Rock Pile is a pretty sunny spot, so not a lot of snow there, however, Whales Tail was extremely icy denying anyone that tried a line other than the far right. Once up above the wash on the ridge, the snow dried out a little bit again.